On September, 2012
Browsing all posts on September, 2012
One of the things that often gets overlooked when setting up your websites SEO is the number of incoming (and going) links that you have.
Whilst getting your on and offpage SEO right is the first and most important step in getting yourself off to a rockin' SEO start, a linking strategy is the KEY to getting a higher Google rank.
Why Inbound Links are so important
Inbound links are one the key factors that goes into Google's ever changing ranking algorithm. By looking at how many 'back-links' your site has (ie how many other sites have linked to content on your site) and the type of sites these links come from, Google is able to judge how popular your website is.
Here are some ideas on getting backlinks for free.
Did the latest round of Google Updates effect your website?
If you have been effected, your not alone. In an attempt to discourage the use of 'Black Hat' SEO techniques (ie buying back-links, keyword stuffing, spam sites and scraped sites etc) Google has been running out a series of changes since the beginning of 2011. Unfortunately, many small business' who had employed the services of a (Black Hat) SEO company have found themselves the victims of this latest round of changes.
The truth is, you (or we as Search Engine Optimizers) never know what Google is planning next. What might be a good SEO trick now could lead to penalties in a years time.
The only certainty to a good Google rank is to:
- Be authentic in your content. Post relevent and useful content.
- Post regually. Google gives higher weighting to sites that update their content on a regular basis.
- Use basic SEO tags and set up your pages with SEO in mind.
- Share your content via Social Media.
- Link to useful content elsewhere on the internet. Google gives a higher weighting to sites that link well within their site and to the rest of the internet.
- Be smart. If a company makes it sound TOO EASY to get on the front page of Google, then it is too good to be true. Remember, slow and steady wins the race.